Africa Higher Education
Health Collaborative

Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) was established in 1951 as Kumasi College of Technology. It was officially opened on January 22, 1952 with 200 teacher training students transferred from Achimota College. In October 1952, the School of Engineering and the Department of Commerce were established.

In 1953, a Pharmacy Department was established, and a Department of Agriculture was opened to provide courses for the Ministry of Agriculture. A Department of General Studies was also instituted to prepare students for Higher School Certificate Examinations.

In 1957, the School of Architecture, Town Planning and Building was inaugurated, and its first students were admitted in January 1958. As the college expanded, it was decided to make KNUST a purely science and technology institution. In pursuit of this policy, the Teacher Training College was transferred to Winneba Training College and the Commerce Department was transferred to Achimota.

KNUST is now a leading university in Ghana and offers a wide range of courses in science, technology, engineering, and the humanities. It is a major contributor to the economic and social development of Ghana.